Fw: The Cage Issue, or How Many Cars Do I Need to Have?!?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: The Cage Issue, or How Many Cars Do I Need to Have?!?
From: "Dave Whitworth" <dave@wcsllc.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 10:49:08 -0500

 This reply is for discussion purposes only...not intended as a flame...and
is IMO of course...

 Paul Says:

> > Where the heck did you get that idea? My email CLEARLY stated this is a
> > grassroots issue, not an issue of trying to emulate SBW. I just don't
> > want to be cast into EM.

 An overly simple idea, but if you don't want to be cast into EM, then
 build/buy  a car for the class you want to run in....

> > I can only think of a handful. Neon motor mounts and 911 chain
> > tensioners immediately pop into my head. And who do you think "polices"
> > it? That would be the SEB. In my case the solution is replacing
> > lightweight aluminum control arms with heavy steel ones. I really don't
> > see the issue.

 I'm sure every stock car owner has a "non" performance item that isn't
reliable that they would want allowed...Fox Mustangs have weak front
spindles, so should I be able to replace them with "heavier"  SN-95 ones
that BTW, increase track 1.5" and stay in stock.  IMO this will go on and on
until there are allowances for 95% of the cars out there, and the 5% who
don't have allowances will be screwed.  The masses shouldn't get screwed to
help the neon's...IMO...if neon's get solid mounts, why don't I...etc

 This whole issue is a tough one because people like yourself want to play
in
two different series.  I get back to my original point:  If you want to be
competitive in PCA open track events, then build a car for those rules, and
if you want a competitive SP car, build one.  But if you try to use one for
the other series, you might get put in a class that you aren't competitive
in.  That is the breaks of the game.  You can still have fun, either way,
IMO.

 My point to the whole discussion (some of it not even on team.nut) is that
trying to merge parts the road race rules so cars prepped for that series
have a competitive class to run in starts down a slippery slope.  Solo II
has rules, road race has different rules.  Pick a set and go to it, but
don't expect another series to change their rules to make you competitive.
(This isn't a Paul Foster specific statement, look at the CP/GT-1 cluster in
prepared)

All of my thoughts for now...

 Dave