Re: Roll Bar Rules Changes - Serious Stuff Here!

To: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: Re: Roll Bar Rules Changes - Serious Stuff Here!
From: Ian McCloghrie <ian@codrus.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 11:19:38 -0700
On Oct 11, 2000 dg50@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:
> the driver's head, extend in height at least 3-inches (7.6 cm) above the
> [...]
> (wheel tubs permitted) may attach roll bar with 6-inch (15.2 cm) x 6-inch
> (15.2 cm) x .125-inch (3.2 mm) steel plates on top and bottom of floor
> bolted together with at least four 3/8-inch (9.53 mm) bolts and nuts, or

You realize that these rules make it basically impossible to have a
Miata in stock with a roll bar?  Unless the driver is shorter than
about 5'4", there's no way you'll get three inches above the helmet and
still be able to close the top.  The Hard Dog Fabrication bar that I
have in my car uses plates of about 3"x3" for mounting -- and I can't
see that there's any way a 6" plate would fit without major
modifications to the unibody.

Yes, I'm aware that the roll bar in my car isn't up to race quality.
However, it's the best I can get without destroying the streetability
of my car and empirically, it seems to work very well (judging from
pictures and reports of people who've rolled their Miatas on the
street).

--Ian
'99 Miata LP -- CSP
'01 Audi S4