OSP and catch-all classes

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: OSP and catch-all classes
From: PAULES56@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 18:43:12 EDT
Ben Thatcher has posted that a "Open Street Prepared" class is a good
regional catch-all class to provide people a place to play when preparation
level does not fit an SCCA Solo II class.  I have to agree with most of the
intent.  It is a great place for new people to run what they have before they
make an inventment to compete under the Solo II classifications.

However, my region (which was Ben's previous region) experienced a problem in
that people were BUILDING cars specifically to compete in OSP.  Since there
were only two rules (DOT tires and a licence plate), a level playing field
was difficult to find, and there was no PAX factor to apply to the widely
diverse vehicles that were being entered under OSP.

My region had decided to abandon the OSP class in favor of the SM class with
regional allowances the remove some of the restrictions of the official SM
(as we have also done withe STS and STR).  We also have a good turn out in
these classes.  Some just come to play, many join SCCA and choose a class to
build too.

Success is yet to be measured, since this is our first year using the plan.
We will evaluate and adjust as needed.

Paul  Durr