Re: sorry, but ZO6 Vett again

To: A4autox@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: sorry, but ZO6 Vett again
From: "Kevin Stevens" <kevin_stevens@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 10:32:56 PDT
>   OK, I feel the ZO6 Vett is legal for SS this year, and this is
>why.

You're perfectly entitled to feel this way.  But you're wrong.  ;)

>   The C5 vett has been classed in SS for three years now, with
>changes to the car every year, it is listed as "Corvette, 97-+"

>    So here is my point, the ZO6 is not a new car, though it has many
>changes over the previous coups, it is the only way you can get a coupe
>now, the coupe is all ready classed!

Hardtop, not coupe.  I agree it isn't a new model.

>this car is designated as being of a model year later than the current year
>as stated before (and in 3.1 of the rule book) but it HAS been specifically
>classed ( Corvette 97-+) it doesn't say
>except coupe if they make it too fast!

Hardtop, not coupe.  Your point is that the SS listing for the C5 (97+)
qualifies as "specifically classing" the 2001 model for competition in 2000.
  I disagree, but I recognize your interpretation.

To accept your interpretation would be to say that any car model listed as
"year XX +" would be exempted from the 3.1 model year restriction.  I don't
think that has historically been done.  For one thing, the rulebook listings
don't usually change from, say, "Corvette '84+" to "Corvette 84-96" UNTIL
the year following a new generation introduction.  So interpreting the rule
your way would have allowed any new generation cars ('99 Miata, '93 Camaro,
'97 Corvette, '9? Neon, a host of others) to compete at their time of
introduction.  That certainly hasn't been allowed, at least not under that
auspice.

>so, to keep this car out of the running, it would have to be
>separated from the rest of the Corvettes by reclassing it as it
>is all ready classed, its not like the Boxster "S" or the Camaro
>SS, as these cars are an option package on a model of a car, the Corvette
>coup is only available with this new package so it is a change to an
>already classed car, a huge change, but a
>change, not a new model, so the car may need to be reclassed.

I don't think this argument is either necessary or very strong.  The Z06 is
definitely an option package on a model of the car (C5 Corvette).  However,
since the C5 Corvette is classed without regard to body type (for the last
time, HARDTOP!), it doesn't matter.

>now the tricky part.
>    As a lot of people know, Dan and I have been trying to get the
>Ferrari 360 classed, what we ran into was "cars will not be classed after
>July" from the SEB , which I can see, that's fair as not to end up with the
>problems of the past few years. BUT this is the other side of the coin, now
>here is a car that really CAN
>dominate SS, but its after July so it cant be reclassed.

Why can't it run under the SS catch-all?  Is yours a 2001 model, or didn't
they make enough?

>   DISCLAIMER this is not a rank on the SEB, I have no problems with these
>guys, they are friends and fellow competitors and I
>appreciate the time and effort they put in to make this whole thing work,
>this is just a comment on how I read it, and I have been wrong before once
>or twice =)
>      Curt Ormiston

KeS