Re: Autocross results software

To: "Mo Soar" <msoar@home.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Autocross results software
From: "Dave Whitworth" <dave@wcsllc.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 10:42:28 -0500
Here in St. Louis we are implementing AutoX T/S from Robb Gregg in Topeka.
It does have several features for tracking year end points, etc but we are
not using them as of yet since we started in the middle of the year.  It
exports a text based file for the results that could be imported very easily
to a web page (or spreadsheet).  We e-mail our results via an excel file and
that works very well.  Our pointskeeper, Eric Buckley tracks all of the
points, index points, rookie points manually, and then e-mails the
spreadsheet out.

Now, my thoughts on actual field use of these systems:  If you use the
automated time entry, you have to have a computer operator who is familiar
with the system and can concentrate well.  A lot of "regular" T&S people
just can't do this job, they don't have the personality for it.  In the
hectic T&S trailer, you have to concentrate on what cars are staged, not who
just finished and you have to filter out distractions from the announcer and
time logger.  We use three people, a computer operator, a manual time logger
and an announcer and it *finally* works well.

There are also several other changes we had to make in order to use the
computer:

1)  Our timing trailer has windows on both sides and a back door.
Traditionally, we had the back (open) end pointing towards the course, but
for the computer, it works better with the back end pointing towards
grid/start so the computer operator can see the cars in line

2)  All cars must be clearly marked with number and class.  We also have a
large lot, so we banned shoe polish because it is hard to see 1/4 mile away.
We now provide numbers/letters printed on 1/2 sheets of paper for
competitors to tape on their cars.

3)  An error log.  Keep a pad of paper handy to log problems so you can go
straight to the "bad" cars when auditing.

4)  Radio protocol:  It is more important for the corner captains to clearly
state cone count, car number, class.  The old "+1 on the red car" won't cut
it.

Overall, the system makes results much easier to tabulate.  WE now post
results after each heat, and can give out trophies within 10 min of the end
of the event.  It also saves data entry on the pointskeeper end.

The hardest part is training operators.  We started with 3 people who were
intimately familiar with the system (we "mock" timed a few events before
going live) and are slowly training new people one at a time.  Like I said
before, it takes a certain personality to do this job, and not everybody can
do it.  We have had people who could run a "manual" timing system by
themselves, but can't keep up with the computer!  I don't see it a insult if
someone can't do it, we just find another job.  It will take a while to get
a fell for the people involved.

Hope this rambling helps

Dave