Re: 1k in 2k (sorry long)

To: "Darren P. Madams" <darren@madams.com>
Subject: Re: 1k in 2k (sorry long)
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 22:18:21 -0400
"Darren P. Madams" wrote:
> ... and then it ended up in Mark Sirota's [correct] analysis of car
> starting intervals determining running time, not course length.  I
> don't think the real question ever got answered.

That's me, putting a stop to any reasonable discussion on Team.Net. :-)

Seriously, this did get hashed to death surrounding this year's Peru
Tour...  But this is a little different.  This is the Nationals.  At
this point, there has got to be some kind of allowance for anyone who
has, say, trophied at a past Nationals or a 2000 National Tour.

Had the entry cap been posted earlier I might have a different
response, but I'd hate to see people get turned away at this late
date if they have a legitimate shot at a Nationals trophy.

With any luck, that press release was just a method to get people like
you off your duff, to ensure that we get up to the 1,000 number.

[Without getting into a big discussion of Divisionals vs. Tours, I'll
point out that there's a very wide range of Divisional events around
the country, some 1/6th the size of others, some one day and some two,
some one event and some a series of events.  That's why Yokohama pulled
out of the Divisional program all those years ago, when the National
Tours began.  Using relative performance at a Divisional event as a
qualifying metric for Nationals is frought with issues...]

Mark