RE: Classing Cars with Physics

To: <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Classing Cars with Physics
From: "Bill Fuhrmann" <bfuhrman@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 17:48:03 -0500
> Of course, but we're not testing tires here.
>
> I'm trying to understand how much effect weight really has on performance.
> Is weight just "power", spelled differently, or does it play other roles?
> Obviously, there's an inertia element, but if I have infinate-grip tires,
> does inertia really matter? Is "small" more important than "light" in an
> autocross setting?

It is more than a version of horsepower.  Every time you try to change
direction in a car, your car has to fight the tendency for the larger mass
that is trying to go straight.  This upsets your suspension geometry.
Unless you have the mythical perfect tires, it will fight against the cars
ability to keep them on the ground.