Re: Firestone SUV Tires Major Failures

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Firestone SUV Tires Major Failures
From: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 15:21:29 -0700 (PDT)
I would normally dismiss this as the media crying wolf, but it got a
mention in Automotive News in the May 22 issue.  There were 30+
accidents reported involving four deaths at that point.  It was enough
of a statistical anomaly that the NHTSA initiated a defect
investigation.  (i.e. if the distribution of idiots is more or less
even across tire brands, why are the Firestones blowing out more
often?)

There is another article on Firestone related accidents at
<http://www.khou.com/news/stories/1131.html>.  It's mostly kind of
skewed (for example, it doesn't mention reporter Stephen Gauvain was
unbelted in the crash that killed him), but the allegations of "dry"
rubber stock being reused in Firestone tire production are interesting
and disturbing.  It could be the Firestone 500 story all over again...

anyway, I don't own these tires, but there is enough credible evidence
of *something* amiss that I would consider ditching them if I did.

Craig Blome

http://invites.yahoo.com/