Re: Look but don't touch (was Wendover Site Info?)

To: BritBits@tiu.net
Subject: Re: Look but don't touch (was Wendover Site Info?)
From: Stephen Bernard <solo-2@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 23:50:57 -0400
> I'd hope that my fellow autocrossers don't do anything to get the
> local
> authorities too excited (wink wink)...  and if you'd been pulled
> over on the
> evening (Saturday) during the event I'd hope the local mounties
> would show
> some sympathy.  I get waves from the back country police when I'm in
> my Mini Cooper, even when I'm doing something stupid.

I wasn't the one pulled over, someone else was, but I don't want
to take the chance of getting a ticket so I'll remove the sticker
tommorrow. I've had it on since the Tour.
You can get away with a lot in a Mini. :)
New hampshire where i travel a lot is a bit stricter so to be safe
I'll pull it off although it does look kinda good on there. :)

> If someone leaves the sticker on the car after the event is over and
> it's illegal in that state (such as NJ, home of the automotive
gestapo...
> been there done that) then they've no one to blame than themselves. If
> you're in transit from the event (with out of state plates...) then
yeah,
> you're fair game for the money hunters.

I think that's the unfair part having to put that sticker on once is
ok but both days would be a bit much.

> I did kinda like the look of the sticker after I got over the shock
> of having to put it on the car (the plank of wood helps change your
> disposition), but I did pull it as soon as I got home, don't need to
> pull any more paint off the car.  My DM Spitfire.

I was fortunate that it fit on the window easily and didn't block
my view. Your Spitfire would be a different story.

> Yeah, no windshield.  And dispite the talk of my having a swelled
> head...
> still not enough room on the helmet face shield.  :-)

Good thing it wasn't mandatory on the helmet. :)

Steve Bernard
Red '99 Miata (B-Stock)
NER Region (Novice Class)
mailto:Solo-2@juno.com