Re: The List

To: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>,
Subject: Re: The List
From: Bill Ozinga <oz@tirerack.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 14:22:18 -0700
> Subject: The List
>
> This week's topic:
>
> Car Builder Who Stretched The Rules the Most, LEGALLY.

One obvious answer popped into my head.

Jim McKamey. Each car built seemed to work well, and most took full
advantage of the rules, and I don't recall any lost protests.

A few examples...
Triumph TR8 - AP/FP Tube framed. Kept under a cover between runs the first
year to mess with some Lotus driver
Pontiac Fiero - Tamandli's E-Mod car. Easily best in class, imho.
Corvette Convertible - Sid DeLeon's BP car
MRC T5A - "Trudi's car". The big black beast. Caused wing rule to be
rewritten recently?
Chevy Camaro - Mike Zickuhr's orange '69 CP Camaro. Jetsons meet the
Flintstones :-)
Datsun Roadster SRL311 - Todd Green's EP car. Possibly the best non-Honda in
the class.

Some of these cars were not 100% his work, but he was certainly heavily
involved in them. I've driven a few of these, and ridden in others and in
all of them I was impressed with how there seemed to be no "bad features" to
work around. When a car has that, you just gotta love it.

As a second choice, Guy Ankeny as a car builder has a pretty good record but
I really can't say if he's really stretched the rules or just done great
work. Either way, I'd buy a used car from him...

Third, George Bowland, for developing the first of the snowmobile
powered/CVT fly weight AM cars. Can't say it pushed the rules, as there
aren't too many rules in the class, but certainly defined the future
direction of the class.

One the 0-60 thing, I've got a Miata. Why check? It's slower than alot of
tow vehicles...and quicker than alot of race cars. There's a difference
between quick and fast.

Bill Ozinga - webmaster@tirerack.com
Webmaster - The Tire Rack
http://www.tirerack.com