Street Prepared Wheel Rates

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Street Prepared Wheel Rates
From: "Brian Fitzpatrick" <bfitz1@home.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 22:41:55 -0500
To all the Street Prepared suspension experts:

I'm trying to figure out whether or not I'm "in the ballpark" with the
spring rates on my ESP Eagle Talon AWD.  I started with recommendations
from Ground Control and then increased the rear spring rate slightly to
loosen up the rear.

The motion ratios are approx. 1.25 (F) and 1.00 (R).  My current spring
rates are 500 lb/in (F) and 400 lb/in (R).  These provide wheel rates of
320 lb/in (F) and 400 lb/in (R).  For comparison, the stock springs are
246 lb/in (F) and 151 lb/in (R) for wheel rates of 157 lb/in (F) and 151
lb/in (R).

Other info:
* The car weighs 3300 lbs. with me in it, with a 60%/40% F/R split.
* I run 255/40-17 Kumhos.
* The swaybars are 40% (F) and 80% (R) stiffer than stock, but I don't
know their contribution to wheel rate.
* The inside-rear tire just barely lifts off the ground under hard
cornering.

What kind of wheel rates are other nationally-competitive Street
Prepared cars running?  Also, in these cars, how much wheel travel is
available from static height to bottoming out? (1.5", 2", 3" ???)  Any
suggestions on either?  Need any more info?

Thanks,
Brian Fitzpatrick
'97 Talon AWD - 30 ESP