Re: 86-91 RX-7 Exhaust Systems

To: Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>
Subject: Re: 86-91 RX-7 Exhaust Systems
From: fooshst <fooshst@stumail.gc.cc.fl.us>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 23:39:09 -0500
Hello Scott,

Saturday, May 20, 2000, 7:38:25 PM, you wrote:

SM>  I notice in exploring the various options "out there", that most of the
SM> offerings duplicate the factory "Y" exhaust system splitting one 2.5"
SM> (or so) exit from the cats into two 1.75" (or so) separate tubes ending
SM> in dual exhaust.

SM> Why?

SM> Why not just one 2.5" pipe back to one side and a stainless or
SM> equivalent (melt-proof) muffler there?

SM> Is it heat? Is it noise? Is it......."just because"?

SM> It seems that some header systems (not where I want to go) do utilize
SM> the 'one exit' feature. Why not "cat-back"?

SM> Does any Mazda person out there really know the answer? I have a muffler
SM> shop locally that does very good cat-back work with mandrel bends, and
SM> will be doing a system soon.

SM> Thanks,

SM> Scott Meyers
SM> Tranny and clutch out - flywheel OK - back together with new clutch
SM> tomorrow.........maybe.
SM> Where's the Advil?

Basically, it's for looks. Apex has a few single sided exhausts but
some people don't like leaving the gap in the bumper bottom. It
doesn't seem to affect me while I'm driving, so I haven't even
considered filling the empty bumper slot with my N1. Every other
difference points to using a single sided; it's lighter, should theoretically
flow better, and is
2000 times easier to pull off for various under car work.
The Apex systems are LOUD, so not ideal for NAs. I would expect a
muffler shop job to be short lived unless you get a muffler known to
live under rotary heat. Muffler guys probably aren't going to realize
just how tough the muffler's gotta be if they don't have experience
with them.

Best regards,
 fooshst                            mailto:fooshst@stumail.gc.cc.fl.us