86-91 RX-7 Exhaust Systems

To: "TEAM.NET" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: 86-91 RX-7 Exhaust Systems
From: Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 17:38:25 -0700
 I notice in exploring the various options "out there", that most of the
offerings duplicate the factory "Y" exhaust system splitting one 2.5"
(or so) exit from the cats into two 1.75" (or so) separate tubes ending
in dual exhaust.

Why?

Why not just one 2.5" pipe back to one side and a stainless or
equivalent (melt-proof) muffler there?

Is it heat? Is it noise? Is it......."just because"?

It seems that some header systems (not where I want to go) do utilize
the 'one exit' feature. Why not "cat-back"?

Does any Mazda person out there really know the answer? I have a muffler
shop locally that does very good cat-back work with mandrel bends, and
will be doing a system soon.

Thanks,

Scott Meyers
Tranny and clutch out - flywheel OK - back together with new clutch
tomorrow.........maybe.
Where's the Advil?