Re: Personal responsibility

To: solo2dmmr2@hotmail.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Personal responsibility
From: "Peter Mottaz" <mph_16@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 14:30:40 PDT
Don,

I understand we (i.e. SCCA risk management) may need to assess and evaluate
our risk level for any proposed activity we engage in. My point is that all
of the arguements I have seen thus far on this forum regarding the desire to
eliminate karts have been based on a _large_ over-estimate of the risk to
SoloII (and the drivers themselves). The risk in the "what if" scenarious
proferred as examples, are overstated compared to reality.

I spent all of last season running a f125 kart in 18+ regional events, a
divisional, 4 ProSolos, 2 National Tours, Topeka and uncountable practice
laps at kart tracks. I believe I was pushing the kart as hard as I could
given my level of experience in the thing. I never saw anything or
experienced anything that even remotely comes close to the dangers offered
up as rationale for banning karts from SoloII.

Yes, I hit lots of cones and bumps, I never came remotely close  to "going
over" (lots of real fun spins though ;-). Do I think it couldn't happen, of
course not. But I think the risk level is no worse than what we normally
assume for our events. Just for reference I am a conservative, 42 year old
male who has a deep aversion to pain <grin>. I am also a father who feels
the risk is low enough such that I let my 10 year old daughter autocross in
the Junior karts and my soon to be 8 year old son will be next.

I am, obviously, biased in favor of the karts. But I feel we are gnashing
our teeth and wringing our hands over an overstated and overblown assumption
regarding the dangers of a kart driver being injured. IMNSHO those dangers
are no more or less than that for the other classes in SoloII.

Pete Mottaz
'95 BMW 325is GS#11
'99 Trackmagic/Briggs Dragon