Re: Miata Koni's & torn shock boot

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Miata Koni's & torn shock boot
From: Gary Spray <gspray@cjnetworks.com>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 19:55:26 -0500
At 08:07 PM 5/13/2000, Craig Blome wrote:
>Hey all,
>
>Question for Miata-crossers running Koni shocks.  I
>found a torn shock boot the other day whilst changing
>tires.  I don't think it's a serious problem since the
>boots don't seal to the Koni shock body, but the idea
>of exposing the delicate shaft seal to dirt has always
>vaguely bothered me.  Anybody have ideas for fixing
>the boot to the shock?  (I eyeballed it and don't
>think zip ties will do.)  If not sealed, how much will
>the shock life expectancy be affected?

I don't think it's a big problem. People who use the Koni's to lower their
car often cut away the back boots in order to shorten the bump stop. The
suspension bump stops are integral with the boots and in order to shorten
the bump stops you have to cut away the accordion part. Since Mazda seems
to have spared no expense in producing the rubber parts on the car <G> a
more important part to check is the shifter boots which deteriorate and let
heat and fumes into the cockpit as well as dirt into the shifter turret. If
your shock boots are tearing it is a good bet that the shifter boots are
toast. To check the shifter boots pull the console (five Phillips head
screws). If the bottom boot is torn (mine was non-existent) you will find a
black, tar like substance which is dust mixed with what is left of the
transmission fluid that is supposed to be in your shifter turret. Cleaning
it out and refilling it (90cc) will result in a noticeable improvement in
shifting.

Gary Spray
Topeka, Kansas
White 1990 Mazda Miata
Kansas Region SCCA - Solo 2
#16 CS (or 19, or 61, or 91, or 1, or 6, or 9; only got two numbers)