Re: Terminator Kart

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Terminator Kart
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 11:48:40 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Sat, 13 May 2000, Jay Mitchell wrote:
> 1. Allow the use of intoxicants. While competing. There's a whole new
> market waiting to be tapped. The "driving drunks" and "buzzed" crowds.
> Hey, we can have some new classes! Lessee here, there's STPBR (Street
> Touring Pabst Blue Ribbon), SMJD (Street Mod Jack Daniels), ASC (A Stock
> Colombian), BM (Bloody Mary), etc., etc. The only limit is your
> imagination. Or your attention span. To paraphrase Mr. Foster: "It is up
> to each individual to determine if the risk is acceptable."
>
> 2. Make seat belts and helmets optional. I think I'll be safer without a
> helmet, because I can see and hear better, therefore I'm less likely to
> have a collision. And those damn seat belts just make it harder to reach
> the radio buttons. If you don't want to take the risk, why should you be
> bothered if someone else does?

I know you're joking here, but both of those "suggestions" have a problem
that karts don't have.  In each case, the driver's ability to control the
vehicle is being affected.  That, in turn, increases the chance that
someone other than the driver will be hurt.

And that doesn't apply to the kart discussion.

Mark

(no, really, I don't need you to protect me from myself.)

ps.  What's next?  After all, those F500 cars don't have nearly the crush
room that larger cars have.  Maybe we oughta outlaw them as well.  After
all, the exact same lack of injury data in solo2 exists there to support
your position just as well.