Re: On-board Telemetry / Nissan Skyline GT-R (2nd try)

To: AutocrossAddict@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: On-board Telemetry / Nissan Skyline GT-R (2nd try)
From: Tim Schuh <tim@wankel.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 08:38:47 -0600
AutocrossAddict@aol.com wrote:
> Let me try this again ... without the attachment this time.  Apparently
> anything with an attachment gets rejected by team.net ...
>
> If anyone wants to see pix of this from the brochure, email me!

URLs are much more friendly than attachments.  Consider this, a 500K
attachment and a list with 1200 people (such as the Rx-7 list).  All
of a sudden you have the list server sending out 600MB.  If they have
the server sitting on a T1 and we assume a full connection, no packets
dropped at the far side and that the server doesn't puke, it will take
a mere 53 minutes to send the attachment to all 1200 list members.  On
the reverse side of it, not everyone is blessed with working at an ISP
as I am.  As a matter of fact I'm willing to bet that the vast
majority of people are using analog modems.  Assuming that it will
take anywhere between a minute and a half to three minutes to download
that one message, of course depending on connection speed.

Now let's look at sending a URL. =)  Assuming it's a maximal length
URL (most browsers cut it off at 256 characters), all other things
being equal, we're looking at a maximum of 307,200 bytes.  This huge
amount of data would spend more time on the list server than it would
traversing the internet circuit.  Assuming again a perfect list server
it would take 1.59 seconds to send the URL to 1200 list members, a
3,181 second improvement!

Geez, I only wish it was as easy to find time on the autox course! =)

We now return you to your normally scheduled list.

--
Tim Schuh - www.wankel.net
84 GSL-SE