RE: Honda spring rates...

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Honda spring rates...
From: Alan Pozner <AlanP@identicard.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 18:20:53 -0500
Skye wrote:
>This question basically concerns Civics/Integras and other FWD Hondas...
>I was reading this book that said to put stiffer spring rates in front
>to correct for the factory induced understeer... but basically nobody
>makes or suggests running it that way aftermarket parts wise... Why is
>this?

Skye,

Conventional wisdom says that increasing front spring rate increases ( not
decreases ) understeer because increased roll resistance has the tendency to
lift the inside front wheel thereby reducing overall front grip..

But if the front roll resistance is increased enough by the spring change
then camber changes may be reduced enough to keep both front wheel contact
patches more on the ground increasing grip and decreasing understeer. So
what you have is two opposite effects; hard to say which will be the greater
change without trying a specific setup.

If the book does not list actual rates, I'd go with recommendations from a
company like Ground Control or a fellow auto-Xer with specific experience in
that car model.

Regards,
Alan