RE: Weight Transfer Question

To: Antoun Nabhan <anabhan@law.harvard.edu>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Weight Transfer Question
From: Rick Brown <rbrown7@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 09:59:56 -0800
You get weight transfer to the front.  In steady state constant speed with
the engine driving force is applied by the drive wheels to make up for
mechanical and aerodynamic losses.  When you remove power the direction of
the force vector reverses as drive line parasitic drag is applied through
what used to be the drive wheels.  Drive force is acting below the center of
gravity, the car is not rotating in the pitch axis, and the moments must be
balanced. In the first case there is weight transfer from front to rear and
in the later from rear to front.  The moment the wind resistance works
through doesn't matter since it's the same in either case and we're looking
at what happens in a relative sense when you put in the clutch.

Now if you had a rocket car with the thrust centerline above the center of
gravity, the oposite would occur.  ;-)

--- Rick Brown