Re: Cajun Christmas Greetings [OT]

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cajun Christmas Greetings [OT]
From: Jim Carr <jac@scri.fsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 11:53:26 -0500 (EST)

John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com> wrote:

> To expand a little on the Nutria thing, everything that's been said so
> far is correct.  They're, basically, huge rats.  And they've taken
> over the south Louisiana swamps.  However, they also have pretty
> decent fur. They're trapped for that.  Problem is - after you skin
> 'em, what do you do with the meat?  That's why the state Ag department
> is trying to come up with some way to use it.  I must admit, though.
> I've lived in Louisiana for almost 23 years and I've never eaten
> Nutria.  I've eaten just about everything else there is to eat in this
> state, but not Nutria.  (at least, not knowingly!!!)

 They might try asking the people who live wherever the thing
 came from.  We are also infested with kudzu in the south (was
 the nutria imported to eat kudzu?), generally considered of
 no value.  Yet, since FoodTV started carrying the "Iron Chef"
 program, I discovered that "kudzu paste" shows up as a ghastly
 white starch substance apparently (from the commentary) as
 beloved as Spam lunchmeat was for us but also widely used.

 ObAutoxContent: The new SportsCar format is great, but they
 also seem deluded into thinking Y2K is the start of the next
 millennium.  Sigh.  (And General Mills with "Millennios".)
 I also thought it was interesting who got tagged as the stars
 of that alleged millennium, but was baffled as to why we could
 only identify the car and not the driver inside under the helmet.

 And I really like the idea of doing some citizens against the
 pros on an autocross course at SCCA venues where space allows.
 That needs to go to SportsCar as a formal proposal.