Re: Newbie: How to start?

To: garth lacomb <garthlacomb@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Newbie: How to start?
From: "Crooke John" <crooke_john@bah.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 09:34:14 -0500
garth lacomb wrote:

> Autox collective,
> The car will need tires soon, what are some good suggestions on tires we can
> leave on year round and remain kinda competitive? Don't need to be M+S
> necessarily.

I enjoyed my car on Yokohama AVS Intermediates. They had great grip, and I was
locally competitive even with a couple other cars on (rather old) BFG R tires.
The AVS's were pricey when I bought them in my 205-50-15 size, but the price has
come down dramatically since then.

They lasted me about 20,000 miles of daily driving, and about a season (12
events) of autocrossing. At that point they were near the tread wear marks, and
getting pretty dangerous in the wet on the street. So I bought an extra set of
take-off wheels and put street tires on them, and left the AVS Intermediates on
the stock rims, and autocrossed them for nearly another full season.

I got my Yokohama AVS Intermediates at Radial Tire Co. in Silver Spring, MD.

I got my washer at Sears.

John
--
John Crooke