Re: Stock vs. Modified

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stock vs. Modified
From: hknobel <hknobel@peachnet.campuscwix.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 07:46:03 -0500
I believe that the same essential skills are required to get near the
potential of the car regardless of class.  That said, stock cars give a
lot more warning that something is going to happen and for that reason,
are probably a better place to learn the basic skills.  The breakaway
point in a slick shod, stiffly  sprung modified car with a high power to
weight ratio is a very thin and difficult to ascertain line.  Anyone who
has tried an 1100 lb. front wheel drive Mini on 9.5 inch slicks with
over 200 hp and with gobs of torque steer will find it a handful, even
intimidating.  Easy to go faster than a stock car? Certainly.  Easier to
get near the potential of the car?  Not at all.  Makes a spectacular
show when overdriven?  Yep.  Start with stock or near stock and work
up.  Thats probably the best.

Harold Knobel - DM (SPU Solo I) Morris Mini/powered by Integra GSR
                          Gramps Veliociraptor from Geriatric Park