ABS behaviour

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: ABS behaviour
From: Greg and Valerie Holden <gholden1@nycap.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 23:02:14 -0500
I recently had my brake fluid flushed (96 Integra GSR) and in testing
the brakes afterwards, I discovered some things about ABS brakes.

At first, I thought the mechanic had broken something, but he rolled out
a 2000 GSR and it did the same thing.

So here it is: At idle, when you press on the brake pedal, it activates
the brakes, goes to max braking, and then will go to the floor with not
a lot more pressure than max braking requires. My wife's Maxima does the
same thing.

Apparently, the ABS soaks up the extra pressure and knows that you are
not moving. When moving, the ABS system will keep the system up to
pressure and provide good brakes that fade normally (I originally
thought I had horrible fade problems when I discovered this behaviour).

Here's my question: What happens when you remove the ABS fuse and
autocross? Is this behaviour due to mechanical stuff and it continues to
operate thusly, or does removing the fuse cause bad things to happen in
the braking?

I don't fully understand what's going on here, so I hope someone out
there can educate me.

Thanks in Advance,

Greg Holden
96 GSR, SuperCharged (on 1/9/2000), SM #58 MoHud SCCA

Non-ABS brakes will resist all your pressing force