Re: Tow vehicle recommendation

To: <ssucsy@nts-online.net>
Subject: Re: Tow vehicle recommendation
From: "George Ryan" <quad4fiero@webzone.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 06:38:44 -0600
Steve

I have run the gamut of tow vehicles. I started out with an Astro AWD with
tow package pulling a Probe GT on a flat trailer. Then I got a Ford high top
conversion van with a 351 cid. Then I acquired an enclosed trailer. Now I
have a Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton pickup. I have pulled a flat trailer with all
of the above, and also a GMC 1/2 ton 350, a dually, and a Suburban 454.

I was able to get about 14 - 16mpg with the Astro, and it actually pulled
quite well.Compared to some of the others, it was a little anemic, however.

With the Ford, the best mileage I ever got with the flat trailer was 11mpg,
and as low as 8. Pulling the enclosed trailer the absolute best (wind at my
back and downhill), was 7 and the worst was 3mpg.

The GMC got better mileage by about 1 or 2 miles per gallon or so, but the
Ford outpulled it from a light, and uphill.

The Suburban, with factory tow package, was the best pull of all of the
above (except the diesel), and the big 454 got about the same mileage under
tow as the GMC 1/2 ton.

Of them all, the Dodge is the best towing rig, giving me 14 - 16mpg at 75mph
pulling an approximate 7000 - 7500lbs billboard (enclosed Pace). But bring
your checkbook for a Cummins!!

To stay within your budget, I would have to say an Astro because it gives
good mileage, and is a good size for non-towing usage. If you do consider
one, be sure it has the factory tow package, and the AWD is far superior to
the 2WD. That 4.3 will do a good job pulling your load (albeit anemic) from
the light and uphill..

IF you can find a Suburban within your budget, it probably would be the best
way to go overall, but I would strongly urge you to consider the big block
vs the 350 for anything over a few miles. The Suburban is a large vehicle to
start with, add the extra 4500 - 5000# or so from your
trailer/car/tires/stuff and the 350 will be working pretty hard. Of course,
with the factory package and it's extra cooling the 350 would do OK. But
don't be surprised if a little Astro doesn't beat you from the light!!

Any full size pickup will pull OK, trucks were usually made - and geared -
to work (tow) as a primary function, unlike the vans and SUV's.

No matter what you choose, towing that much weight should be handled OK with
a cooling package and  equalizer hitch. I can't endorse the use of an
anti-sway setup enough. Mine has saved my a** a couple times. Just have a
trailer tire blow out at highway speeds one time without a sway bar, and
assuming you don't wreck or roll you will have an anti-sway device the next
time you tow, trust me on this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 "Steve Sucsy" <ssucsy@nts-online.net> wrote:

> I am soliciting input on recommended tow vehicles.  I suppose I'll end up
> with whatever I can get the best deal on, but I'm looking primarily at
> Suburban and conversion vans.  I'm also considering extended cab pickup
> trucks.  The parameters:  a budget of $3,000.00 to $3,500.00 for a tow
> vehicle to tow a car trailer with a 2800 lb. car on it.  What kind of
> vehicle is generally best:  Suburban, van, or pickup truck?  Will any one
of
> the three do OK, as long as it has a fairly large engine, such as a 350
V8?