Re: What happened to the Neon?

To: "Phillip S. Osborne" <psosborn@gte.net>
Subject: Re: What happened to the Neon?
From: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 07:36:22 -0600
Phillip S. Osborne wrote:

> I think it was a joint effort, which began with the trunk kit issue.  SCCA
> thumbed first....
> Why are we rehashing this issue???

Disclaimer:  Do not assume that I am defending DC becauce I drive in DS.

It is important that people do not perpetuate mis-information.  Some
folks have an ax to grind, and often portray past events in their own
light.  I'm not in favor of putting life support on this subject either,
but someone brought it up and I think that everyone not close to the
issue deserves to get the correct story.

Jeff Lloyd's post is correct when he says that DC, or anyone else for
that matter, offers contingency to sell product.  Why the hell else
would they dole out money to us?  It's a soft sell though, relying on
company image more than anything.  Using these past events to "dis"
someone's image without knowing all the correct facts is irresponsible
in my book, and maybe even bad for the sport.

I think we all benefit when we make our sport an attractive place to do
business.  Jeff, I don't feel that DC has claimed to be in this to make
all our lives better either.  There is no doubt that their wanting to
sell cars by giving us money is good for us however, despite their
motivations.  Nature has examples of relationships like this. The sucker
fish, for example, that attaches itself to the side of a shark.  The SF
is in it for the food.  The S allows it because he gets cleaned in the
process.  Net result is a mutually profitable relationship, and they
swim happily on their way.  I'll let you decide who is the sucker fish,
and who is the shark. :)

PLW

PLW