Re: Miata coil-overs

To: "autocross list" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Miata coil-overs
From: "Brian Goodwin" <briang@adnc.com>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 20:54:29 -0700
>Hi,
>
>I don't think I've posted for a couple of years but I have been lurking
>and reading the digests when I have time. Hopefully I didn't miss this
>already being discussed.
>
>I want to put coil-overs on my Miata and was wondering if anyone had any
>experience or advice they'd like to share.
>
>I'm considering the H&R's that Tire Rack sells and the MazdaSpeed's that
>Moss Motors carries.
>
>I have heard about Ground Control and seen their ads in SportsCar but
>can't find too much info at their site. I don't know if they sell kits
>with shocks.
>
>I haven't been able to find any information on relative features of these
>products. Same thing with quality. I think H&R has a good reputation but
>am not sure about Mazdaspeed.

This matter has been much discussed on the Miata power list and the general
Miata.net list and the archives are full of discussion about the spring
rates of the GC setup, etc.  Also see Miata.net tech and garage sections.
You can get to the general list through Miata.net.  At Miata.net you will
also find the info on the Miata power list which will take you to additional
folks, like me, that have these setups.

In brief, the Mazdaspeed unit is very pricey and it may be hard to find
someone actually using it.  The one user I talked with was not overwhelmed.
The H&R is new and I don't know of anyone using it yet but, given their
reputation, it may be a product worth considering.  That leaves the GC setup
as one I can actually tell you something about.  You can specify whatever
spring rates you want in 25 pound intervals and they have recommendations
for you depending on your intentions (CSP only or daily driver and CSP,
etc.).  My setup has the 375 front and the 225 rear springs on Koni
adjustable shocks.   It works well.  Feel free ask me more....

SPAX makes a Miata coil over setup but I have not heard good things about
it.  GAB and Tanabe were also making Miata coil-overs and you might check
around for info on their setups with an import speed shop.  Last  I checked
the nicer Tanabe setup was being discontinued and discounted (helper
springs, pillow ball, 20-way adjustable etc.).

Brian Goodwin
94 CSP Miata
Good-Win Racing Supply