Re: Neon Wheel Sizes

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Neon Wheel Sizes
From: NeonACR1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 08:35:55 EDT
In a message dated 5/27/99 3:53:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
autox-owner@autox.team.net writes:

<< At least on a 95 highline you can run the 14 X 5.5 rims legally.  If is
 a factory option so it is legal.  The rear brakes are still drums, which
 doesn't matter since one wheel is never hitting the ground.>>

Really?  a non rear swaybar equipped Neon will do the "male dog salute" like
my ACR?   :-)
I dont think that the 14x6 alloys were ever an option on the highline, so
14x5.5 is a must in stock class.  A local ES Neon'er used to run the
225/50-14 R1 on the 5.5" wheel.  I bet who ever mounted those tires HATED him
though!

<< Renee Eady and I ran her car with the 5.5 inch rims in E stock back in
 1995.  She won Nationals with this car.

 WE both agreed on the fact of we would rather give up a 1/2 inch of rim
 to not have the hateful ABS.  Now the 96 Sport without the ABS stills
 seems like the hot ticket, but good luck finding one.  There were only
 two that i know of, 1 is in a junkyard and the other is ready for the
 junkyard.

 - --Brian >>

You do see a few "mistake" Neons coming out of the factory from time to time.
 I know of one ACR (verified by the vin and all, base vin number with DOHC
motor..only way to tell) with ABS brakes.  I have also seen 2 ACR's come off
the truck with the little surfboard spoilers on the back.  So, I am willing
to bet there are more 96 Non ABS Sports out there.

Ed