Re: Neon wheel size

To: brnrubr@midusa.net
Subject: Re: Neon wheel size
From: Jeff Blankenship <jblanken@itds.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 17:58:27 CDT

> Jeff, I have to ask where you came up with these conclusions. Have they been
> approved by the SEB in SCCA? Except for the last paragraph on page 86, which
> requires a complete conversion with in the same model year, I think you are
> assuming to much.
>
> By the way this is not a flame but a serious question, and hopes that the
> wrong info is not going out to the uninformed.
>
> Rob

Believe me, I wouldn't have stuck my neck out so far without some sources.
I've been interested in the neon since its introduction in 1994, I checked it
out pretty carefully because my wife was shopping for a new car then.  The
tall, skinny 13" wheels ruined the car for me then (not to mention the
upholstery), but since '94 and '95 build dates all carried the '95 model
year designation, there is no update-backdate issue with the running
production line changes.

The wheel/brake package is not part of an option package in the Base or
Highline.  The Sport had the 14" 4-lug steels as an option up until the
alloys became a standard item on the Sport.  Somewhere along the line,
the brake and wheel changes were phased into production on all neons.

My info comes from personal knowledge of neon owners who bought/own the
various permutations, from the neon FAQ on neons.org, and from technical
posts by a Chrysler Technical Trainer who laid out all the gory details of
the brake packages for us on the neon mail list.  I'm sure everything could
be backed up by the Factory manuals, though I have to admit I don't own
the '95 edition.  If anything I wrote is factually incorrect, I'd like to
hear about it, but I have spent way too much time packing my head with neon
minutia to not try to help...

Gotta go, but I'll bet someone else will back me up, or offer a
counterexample, if there is any doubt about any specific thing I wrote.
--
Jeffrey D. Blankenship                         Senior Technical Consultant
jblanken@itds.com                              ITDS - TRIS