Re: Out to launch :)

To: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>, "autox" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Out to launch :)
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 11:00:16 -0500
But a launch with a stick is a fairly new concept to me, and
>I'm not quite sure what the best technique is.  What would y'all
suggest?
>My 320 is RWD, so factor the beneficial weight transfer into it.  I've
seen
>all kinds of launches from tire-smoking drops of the clutch to the same
kind
>of gentle launch you'd use on the street.  I'm sure I'll have to
experiment
>to see what works best for me and my car, but I'm open to advice,
opinions,
>and wild speculation. :)  Thanks!
===========================
Well, from one newbie to another, it all depends on just how far the
start lights are from the starting line.  Generally you want to be going
as fast as possible when you cross the start light.

If the lights are close you definitely don't want to bog the motor down.
So, you rev up the motor about 1/2 way into the RPM band (well, at least
I do) and slip the clutch out until the tires just start to spin.
You'll start moving and then you then play a balancing game of letting
the clutch out a little further while pressing down progressively harder
on the gas pedal.  Ideally there will be a very small amount of tire
spin the during the entire process.

If the lights are farther away you don't have to slip the clutch as much
but you still don't want to bog the motor off of the line.

Last year I used to do the biggest baddest burnouts at the start line
each time because I was under the mistaken impression that I was
actually getting some heat into the tires and therefore making them
stickier for that first corner.  In reality all I was doing was wasting
my tires.

Of course this is my opinion and, well, ya know, opinions vary.

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

Mustang Sally,
guess you better slow your Mustang down.
"Mustang Sally" by Wilson Pickett