Re: Boycott the Chinese?!?

To: Cliff Loh <vcmc001@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Boycott the Chinese?!?
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 10:22:50 -0700

Cliff Loh wrote:

> Since the U.S. doesn't really have formal and open trade relations
> with China (the Commies, not the Taiwanese), you'd be very hard
> pressed to find products made in the "Peoples Republic" at your local
> Pep Boys.

Not really true. I work with companies that develop products and quite a
few high volume products are made in mainland China and say "Made in
China" on them. One example is the ThermoScan ear thermometer that I
(and fellow autocrosser Bill Chin) helped to develop. Made in mainland
China. Not at Pep Boys, but it is at Target and Rite Aid.

I am glad that we didn't accidently bomb the Korean embassy. That might
have some autocross impact.

Boycotting items made in China probably is misguided, but it makes one
feel like they are doing something. Most of the profits you caused
someone to not get, would have stayed here in the USA anyways..not some
Chinese laborer who was paid pennies.

Ob Autox content: No, you should not use the ThermoScan thermometer as a
handy tire Pyrometer.

Randy Chase (really leaving for volleyball now)