re: Boycott the Chinese?!?

To: Autox List <Autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Boycott the Chinese?!?
From: Cliff Loh <vcmc001@ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 10:03:49 -0700
>Mike Bultemeier writes:

><<<By the way I think we should all consider boycotting all "Chinese"
>imported tools in light of whats going on. I know I will. I realize this
>strays from the Autox content rule but I couldn't resist.>>>

And I suppose you're gonna give up a nice bowl of won-ton soup too.
And while we're at it let's put 'em all in camps.  Apologies for more
non-autocross bandwidth but for those with a political axe to grind
WRT your tool purchases, you should know a very important fact.  All
tools with the stamp "Made in China" are actually made in Taiwan.
Taiwan still refers to itself as "China".  After all the Commies did
drive them from the homeland in 1949.  Items manufactured in what you
westerners call China are stamped "made in the Peoples Republic of
China".  There's a BIG difference.

Since the U.S. doesn't really have formal and open trade relations
with China (the Commies, not the Taiwanese), you'd be very hard
pressed to find products made in the "Peoples Republic" at your local
Pep Boys.

Besides, Taiwanese wrenches make great inexpensive hammers and pry
bars.

-c.
Cliff Loh, Vancouver, B.C. CANADA
"I started out with nothing