Re: autox@autox.team.net digest #3347 Mon May 10 01:05:01 MDT 1999

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: autox@autox.team.net digest #3347 Mon May 10 01:05:01 MDT 1999
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 10:10:32 EDT
In a message dated 5/10/99 2:25:51 AM Central Daylight Time,

< Chris and Per Schroeder wrote:
 > After 8 runs on the tires (after 100 miles of heat cycling)  I've noticed
 > that the inside holographic tread is just about gone, and the outside is
 > getting there (except for the outer most part of the outer shoulder, which
 > is worn about as much as the inside blocks)

washburn <washburn@dwave.net> replied
< I have only the 5 runs from today on mine, so maybe it's too early to
< tell, but the very little wear I see is pretty even.  (I have more
< negative camber than you, started at 43 lbs, but let them creep up to
< 47.)  Could the extra inside wear be from your 100 miles of heat
< cycling?  Seems to me that in AX only conditions, there is enough
< cornering to even out the wear.  Folks who put on a lot of street miles
< would probably see the inside edge wear much faster.  I guess I can't
< really offer an answer about the pressures or camber.

 > Oh, and they worked pretty well :-)

< So far, I am very happy too.  Based on the tiny amount of wear on my
< fronts after only 5 - 60 second runs, I do not see how anyone can
< possibly report tire life of only 10 or 20 runs. Turn in is wonderful,
< and they are every bit as grippy as the R-1's.  So far, so good.

I am rear drive with a strret prepared level suspension, and I have to agree,
the G-force tires seem to be gripping very well, and wearing slow and even. I
have just a 52% front weight, run 2.1 degrees negative on the front, and 1.8
degrees negative on the rear. I ran just 33 psi front, and 32 psi rear (on
the same course as Per and Patrick) with a co-driver, the tires now have 26
runs on them, and about 250 miles on the road. The rear tires have most of
the holographic tread removed, but it is very even from edge to edge. The
fronts still have quite a bit of it showing, a little more worn on the
insude, probably from the 90 mile highway drive to Milwakee with 1/4 inch of
toe out.

My "opinion" of the G-Forces, WOW I have run Yokahamas, R1's, Hoosiers, and
tried other cars on just about everything out there, even a car on slicks.
The turn in is as crisp as anything I have ever driven on, but they are not
anywhere near as nervous feeling as the asymetric R1's, the car tracks dead
straight even with the toe out, the R1's darted all over. The steady
cornering force is as good as I have felt, even on the slicks, but I did some
changes to my suspension, and it is hard to say if the hoosiers where some of
the problem last year or not, I may bring them to a test and tune for a
direct comparison. Biggest complaint, THEY NEED HEAT IN THEM. First run out
is a bit slippery, but they come in before the run is over, even on a 40
second course. They seem to hold the heat pretty good, because the second
run, even with a large heat still stuck right off the start. Wear rate so far
seems a lot better then the Hoosiers from I ran year. After another 20 runs
or so, I wil know for sure. I think they are holding up better then the R1's,
and maybe close to the A008rtu's, and that is saying alot. Between Jeff Tomes
and myself we are not easy on tires either. And for comparison sake, my car
with driver weighs about 2850 lbs, and I run 225 50 14's, and the greater
rear tire wear is most likely from wheel spin off the line with about 300 hp.

Gary M.
STU is getting even better
We need some more people to turbo their cars though.