Safe Course Designs - by Consensus

To: Jay Mitchell <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Subject: Safe Course Designs - by Consensus
From: Scott & Glenda Meyers <autox@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 11:08:50 -0700
Jay Mitchell wrote:

> As a course designer, I have often made changes at the suggestion
> of others in the interest of safety, even when I did not agree
> that the changes were necessary. When you get your ego so tied up
> in a course design or your own petty fiefdom that you aren't
> willing to listen to other viewpoints - a disease not unheard-of
> in SCCA - you'll make the wrong choice every time.

I clipped this part because I think it goes to the root of the issue - ego.

I also have designed courses, am a SSS, and been involoved in Solo 2 for over
twenty years.

When I first began to design courses I took personal issue with anyone who
might question the perfection of my efforts. Over time I learned that by
incorporating the input of others a better product was usually produced. Even
if not better in my eyes, it was to many others, thus a win-win situation.

No one person knows it all, and at times others see what you cannot - kinda
the "forest for the trees" thing. It does not cost anything to listen and
consider the advice of others.

Relatedly, the "Driver Ego" is also part of this mix. I have read the advice
of some who say "simply go up to the SSS and complain". Been there, done that.
It does not always work (sometimes it does). There is "peer pressure" to be
macho, aggressive, unafraid, etc. relative to high speeds on Solo 2 courses.
There is great rationalization utilized to leave "challenging" stuff in a Solo
2.

Remember the earlier similar thread about the recent fast California course
where I was accused of being "afraid of falling out of bed". Remember all of
the macho language justifying the high speeds? One could almost hear the
chest-thumping over the internet   :-).

Just "Walk away", huh? You drive a few hundred miles, rent the motel room, and
its easy to walk away. Get a refund? Wanna bet? So you just drive the course
at 80% which is far less than satisfying.

Simply, let's just follow the rules as written, and slow things down when in
doubt. Let's preserve the sport for us and others who will be joining it in
the future. This is how it will grow. Safely.

Scott Meyers