Re: Clutchless shifts/rev matching...

To: Eric Moon <moon-7@blazenet.net>
Subject: Re: Clutchless shifts/rev matching...
From: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 21:44:43 -0500
Eric Moon wrote:

> Could someone please explain 'clutchless shifting' to me?  Is it simply a
> matter of matching the rev that you would be in if you were to change gears
> normally with the clutch?

Yup.

> Is this bad for the car?  (as if autocrossing in itself is 'good' for a car!!)

Cars were built for quite a few years before they had syncros.  I once
broke my left big toe on the night just before a trip to New York.
(Don't ask how)  I just wrapped it up, and left a 5:00 am to catch my
flight.  Much to my annoyance, and extreme pain, I could not fully
depress the clutch pedal in my Audi.  I drove to the airport without
once touching the clutch pedal, and I still had an operable tranny when
I got there.  Rev matching is the key.

--
Patrick Washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Wausau, WI     Land of Cheese