Re: Clutchless shifts/rev matching...

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutchless shifts/rev matching...
From: Buddy Ahlers <buddy_ahlers@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 09:26:04 -0700 (PDT)
A car doesn't really need the clutch for coming out of gear, but really
only for going into gear.  So what I usually find myself doing is
timing my stab at the clutch to come only after i've moved it out of
gear and just before I put it into the gear that I want to be in.  This
really makes for some quick shifts, and I find it to be MUCH kinder to
my gearbox.  It also allows me to minimize the time I spend off the gas
or out of gear.
This method has worked well for me, and it is easier to do while
racing.  I have many more important things to be worrying about than
matching my revs to where they'd be while in gear...like keeping my
head up and finding my line.
Not exactly "clutchless" but more like "half-clutchless".  I have found
that the car will shift without the clutch (after a few mis-timed stabs
at the clutch) but I think I can be just as fast and much smoother by
using the clutch.

Buddy Ahlers.