Re: adding Torsen LSD?

To: "m.roadster performance usa, l.l.c." <dan@mroadster.com>
Subject: Re: adding Torsen LSD?
From: Bret Dodson <bret@serv.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 11:04:13 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, m.roadster performance usa, l.l.c. wrote:

> Is a limited slip really worth it for autocrossing?

Yes.  I think it's very worthwhile.  My old Miata had the Viscous LSD and
it would not provide much slip limitation at times.  Maybe I might have
been able to eliminate some of that wheelspin with a prodigious front
swaybar, but it was very frustrating at times.

<<snip>>

> but my question is...is it worth it just for a torsen?    i'm not convinced
> that "extra weight" such as the power locks, sound system etc. is any
> difference whatsoever in performance.
>
> thoughts?

I drive a '96 Miata R.  It has a crappy stereo and no power anything and
no A/C.  It's very light and it autocrosses pretty well.  But, I can go
just about as fast in my friend's '94 C package which has A/C and a really
nice stereo and power windows - it weighs about 150 - 175 lbs more than my
car and is similarly prepared (except that it has Tokicos, Blasphemy!!).

Add to the equation that the '94 and '95 Miatas have a smidge less
power and torque (-5hp,-4ft/lbs) than the '96 and '97s as well as an
earlier version of the Torsen.  This doesn't seem to stop Mr. Doganis in
his '94 R.

I would say go for the added luxury, it doesn't weigh that much and won't
have a siginificant effect on your car's performance.  I think it would all
be worth it to get the Torsen.

Bret Dodson
'96 Miata R  red/white
Seattle, WA