Re: Heel and toe

Subject: Re: Heel and toe
From: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 16:01:23 -0400
>And so I've been trying to learn to heel-and-toe.  My problem is that in
>my car ('98 Mustang coupe), there is a few inches difference in height
>between the brake and accelerator -- the brake pedal sits even with the
>clutch, up high, but the gas is 2-3" lower, maybe more.

Different cars are set up different ways, and your technique has to change
with the car.  My car is the opposite of yours - I can heel and toe
wonderfully under light braking, but not hard braking like I do in an
autocross.  I've had to abort a number of attempts at heel-and-toe
downshifting when I realized my closure rate on the car in front of me was
much faster than it should've been!  Some pedals have a little adjustment in
them, but for the most part you need to get creative and come up with a
technique that will let you achieve the desired effect with your particular
pedal configuration.  As someone else said earlier today, there's no right
or wrong technique in autocross - there's just faster and slower.

    - Justin
      '83 BMW 320i HS (soon to be DSP when I pop some factory Recaros in)
      Team SOL #4