1991 Eagle Talon TSI - in automatic

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: 1991 Eagle Talon TSI - in automatic
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 15:13:48 EDT
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 09:02:51 EDT
From: Joehgn@aol.com

>Hey, any comments on how the above car would fair in G Stock. Saw one >cheap
>and started dreaming about Turbo power. Is there any major reason (other
>than it is auto-trans) this car should be avioded??

The auto trans cars are a bit different then the manuals. The turbo is alot
smaller, and they run less boost. The power rating was only 175 instead of
190. On the flip side they spool faster and reach peak torque at lower rpm.
As ar as the trans shifting slow, I can't comment, I have not driven the
mitsu auto. I won't say an auto is bad to autocross though. It sure makes
left foot braking easy, and if the gearing is tall enough, you may be able to
use first gear for most of the course. I did this in an 87 GrandAm turbo, I
only needed second on very fast courses, and the auto allowed me to left foot
brake it to boost in the corners.

The only real drawbacks to the car are the soft ride, tall CG, and narrow 6
inch rims. These are the reasons I stopped running my 90 Talon AWD. But that
was when I was stuck in BStock back in 91. Now that it is in GStock, I have
thought about setting it up again. Mine is a 90 manual with only 46,000
miles, and I would be willing to sell at a very good price. E-mail me if you
are interested. I only raced it one season, only stock, and the car is near
perfect. A set of struts, brake pads, and race tires could make it run strong.

Gary M.