Re: Heat Cycling G-Forces

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Heat Cycling G-Forces
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 15:13:49 EDT
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 12:35:17 EDT
From: Smokerbros@aol.com

>Well, the 3rd set of G-Forces arrived this week.  They were heat cycled at
>Tire Rack.  Before the Atwater Pro Solo, should we
>1) heat cycle them on the street
>2) use them at Mather AFB tomorrow
>3) slap them on at Atwater and run

I just ran my first event on new G-Force tires. They stick great, but need a
warm up to work. I drove them on the street for a day to scrub them a bit.
The mold release crap made them slide worse than my all season tires. Once
that was over they felt great, and I figred the event would be no sweat.

I was lazy, and the event was only a 40 mile drive, so I decided to drive
them to the event, for a bit more scrubbing ;-)

I go to take my first run, WOW, I was all over the place, they had only
moderate grip til I was half way around my first run. Second run was much
beter, third finally felt like some solid grip.

My co-driver went out and beat my best time in his first run. (EVER IN THE
CAR) and improved each run there after. I was quite worried.

In the late session, even my first un felt far better, and I was able to
catch my co-driver. I actually beat him by .017 for the event, but what I am
trying to say, was even 40 plus miles, and trying to push them on the street,
it took a few runs to make the tires work. Most was just getting heat in
them, but some was also scrubbing them in. Not sure if I was able to actually
heat cycle them, as the time between morning and afternoon runs was not long
enough for that. By the end of 14 runs (6 each driver competition, and 2 post
event) the tires did truely get hot, but not cooked, so next week they should
be heat cycled.

Gary M.