Re: Re[2]: Tire History Lesson - Again

To: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>, scott_phelps@england.gdt1.com,
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Tire History Lesson - Again
From: rikracer <rikracer@cwix.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 03:25:10 -0700
>>      Not allowed in SCCA.........   Look at all the
>> truck tires on the
>>      highway, and you'll understand why.  I wouldn't
>> put recaps on any car.
>>

>I was driving behind an 18 wheeler outside Little Rock
>once when a retread delaminated.  Big brown cloud and
>KABOOM, followed by tread snakes raining down from the
>heavens.  *Very* scary experience.  I understand why
>SCCA doesn't allow 'em.
>
>Craig Blome
>Texas Spokes SCC, Austin, TX

In many, many years of autocrossing on retreads (this was 20 years ago) and
most of my competitors using them also, I never saw one come apart. I
seriously doubt there is any danger in a 1 minute run. Road racing would be
a different story.  I would guess truck tires come apart after many hours
and many miles of continuous running after much heat buildup.  Not saying I
think they would be competitive to today's technology anyway.

Rick Brown
AP 240Z