Re: DSM abs problem?

To: "autox@autox.team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: DSM abs problem?
From: Walter Fooshee <wfooshee@csi.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 03:40:56 -0500
Normal ABS behavior.  If you're on the brakes almost hard enough for lockup, but
just not quite, they'll pulse lightly, on impending lock. They don't actually
wait for the wheel to stop, but for one wheel to have a significant difference
in
speed compared to the others. If you really stand on the pedal, this happens
faster, and more often, and results in more brake pulsing.

Depends on the surface, too. If you run up to an intersection pretty hard on a
dirt road and stand on the brakes, you'll probably go right through the
intersection as the brakes spend more time off than on. Um, don't ask me how I
know. . . .  Dirty asphalt will have your ABS pump whining overtime.  Concrete,
of course, rules.

You can find yourself threshold braking into ABS just like you'd threshold brake
into lockup. You here the front end jackhammering, you back off just a tad on
the
pedal, or give it a little pump.  The safety nazis tell you to just stand on it,
but you'll stop better if you can stay out of ABS, especially if there's any
looseness to the surface.OTOH, be thankful that your tires don't have all those
round cordy marks on them that other people get.

ABS can throw the car around, too. Imagine trail braking very deep, probably too
deep, and as the inside wheel gets light, the ABS backs off that brake.
Suddenly, momentarily, the car is only braking on one side, and will turn into
the side with brakes, i.e. away from the apex  You'll miss the apex for sure,
wider than if you'd slid past it dragging the inside front tire. Again, don't
ask
me how I know.

Walter Fooshee
Dixie Region Probe GT