Re: 1991 Miata

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1991 Miata
From: Alan Dahl <adahl@eskimo.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 11:08:45 -0800
At 01:42 PM 4/3/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Check the miata.net site to make sure that this 91 does not have the
>weak crank problem.  I believe there is a list of the VIN's that were
>effected.

IMHO this problem is over-blown. As long as the timing belt is changed by a
dealer and not Joe-Bob's Big Hammer Auto Repair it should be fine. My '90
has 131,000 miles on it, has had the timing belt changed twice and is still
running A-OK. Since the Miata in question as 43k on it I suspect that the
belt has never been changed and he should have no worries.

I agree WRT the spark plug wires causing the stumbing problem although I
have also seen throttle position sensors and ECU problems (rare) cause
this. If you do buy the car and want new wires I recommend the Racing Beat
wires. I have 110k on my set and they still work great. Sure beats the
25-30k you get out of the OEM set.

- Alan Dahl
  ___   ____     Alan Dahl                  | home: adahl@eskimo.com
 /_ /   /  /     Federal Way, WA, USA       | work: Alan.Dahl@PSS.boeing.com