Re: Alignment Question

To: Gary Spray <gspray@cjnetworks.com>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Alignment Question
From: Brian Porter <porterb@mediaone.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 07:13:40 -0500
My '95R's alignment is much different with the presence of my 215lbs in the
drivers-seat. (can't recall exact variance but it was substantial). Prior
to this practice, I had the dreaded 65mph shimmy (forcing me to drive 85+).
After parking my butt in the driver's seat during alignments, this went
away.. (with no other changes)

Also, most alignment shops do not properly re-torque everything to spec. I
drive home very slowly and torque everything down. Specs are available on
www.miata.net. (if you can't find them, let me know I'll dig out my factory
manual.)

NTB (both Nashua NH/Woburn MA stores) has been extremely tolerant of my
often anal approach towards car alignment and have spent considerable time
getting things to my satisfaction.

-Brian

At 09:02 PM 3/31/99 -0600, Gary Spray wrote:
>Okay, it's Spring and time for the annual alignment on the ol' Miata. The
>question is not how much caster, camber or toe, but should the driver (me)
>be sitting in the car while it is aligned? I've heard it both ways (in &
>out) but I want to get the consensus of the list. It would seem to me that
>if your car has adjustable coilovers and you were corner weighing, you
>definitely want to be sitting in the car. But in my Miata, with its stock
>shocks and springs, is it still necessary?
>

>----
>Gary Spray
>Topeka, Kansas
>Crystal White '90 A (with white Mazda alloys)
>M Club #43
>Miata Club Of America
>Kansas Region SCCA
>
>** WAX? I bought it to DRIVE! **