Re: Autocross Speed and Safety

Subject: Re: Autocross Speed and Safety
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 10:31:23 -0800
The point has already been made, but again, a course can be unsafe at
almost any speed. Speed is just one more factor in any potential
incident.

I find it a lot easier to convert someone to autocrossing when they come
to the West Lot of Qualcomm and see the big course with some speed in
it. One of the most common complaints/criticisms about autocrossing, is
the idea of 1st gear courses on postage lots. I am not bashing those
course/venues (you deal with what you have), but I have been able to
convince some track guys about autocross when they see our courses.

Also, I can't agree that a good course requires that anyone could commit
the worst error and be totally safe. I think we are dealing with
trade-offs in safety here, and a good course recognizes the possible
speeds, runs off areas, and potential obstacles.

Randy Chase