Re: melissa virus?

To: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>, "autocross" <AUTOX@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: melissa virus?
From: Brian Porter <porterb@mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 12:22:36 -0500

The Melissa virus is sent as an email with the most prevalent attachment
being called "list.doc." However, "list.doc" is not necessarily the only
name for the attachment. When the attachment is viewed or opened, the
virus searches the default Exchange and/or Outlook directory and delivers
the following message and virus to 50 addresses (i.e. including users and
lists) from the address book.

Subject: Important message from <previous victim>
Text: Here is that document you asked for... Don't show anyone else ;-)

If you have received the Melissa email message, please:
- Do NOT Open or View the attachment
- Delete the email
- Download the latest virus definitions

There is a potential for other Melissa-like viruses. The ONLY effective
protection method is for you to ensure that you have downloaded the most
current virus protection software on your computer.

More information about this virus can be found at the following URLs:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/mailissa.html
http://www.avertlabs.com/public/datafiles/valerts/vinfo/melissa.asp
http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-99-04-Melissa-Macro-Virus.html

At 09:20 AM 3/29/99 -0600, Eric Linnhoff wrote:
>What's the skinny on this "melissa" virus that managed to make it to the
>national newscast this morning?
>
>See you on course.
>
>Eric Linnhoff in KC
>#69DS    TLS #13
>'98 Neon R/T
><eric10mm@qni.com>
>
>You jump in front of my car  When you know all the time
>That 90 miles an hour  Girl  Is the speed I drive
>You tell me it's all right  You don't mind a little pain
>You say you just want me to take you for a drive
>"Crosstown Traffic"  as recorded by Jimi Hendrix

-Brian
porterb@mediaone.net