Re: Course design/speed limits

To: "autox list" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Course design/speed limits
From: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 12:11:33 -0500
>Randy wrote... "I think that it is hard for someone who is only used to
>slow/small courses to hit a gate at 75mph and know that they can make it
>stick."

>Mari Clements pointed out that section 2.1 in the rule book states,
>"Speeds on straight stretches should not normally exceed the low 60's
>(mph) for the fastest Stock or Street Perpared category cars".

I agree strongly with both statements.  Personally, I wouldn't want to hit a
gate at 75 in my bare bone stock econobox, even if it could go that fast to
begin with!  It would even be questionable in my autox car, just because the
consequences could be quite severe if I made a mistake.  Blowing a gate
sideways, spinning, and/or taking down some cones are, to me, acceptable
consequences - undesireable, but they're not going to hurt you or the car,
and you can continue your run, and further runs that day.  Hitting a high
speed gate too fast, losing control, sliding off the side of the runway, and
rolling your car over is unacceptable.  I heard this exact situation
happened a few years back at a local autox.  I was severely warned about
that gate repeatedly my first times out.  Even while I was there a few cars
overcooked it and slid off the runway - fortunately, no damage, and no
rollovers.  IMHO, if you're looking for that kind of speed, do a high
performance driving school on a track, which is designed specifically for
the high speeds you're looking to achieve.  I plan to take one or two this
year for exactly this reason later this year.

>Then there's "Negative cambered turns will be avoided if at all
>possible".  Somehow I get the feeling anyone successfully protesting the
>SD courses wouldn't have been a very popular person.  :)

I suppose it's all in the severity.  Again, car damage and rollovers are
unacceptable consequences for pilot error.  A fairly minor negative camber
in the entry and exit of a 180 sweeper can be fun, especially if a low
powered, RWD car like mine can kick the back out on the exit.  But I
wouldn't want a hairpin with negative camber on a steep downhill.

    - Justin