Re: how to align your car at home?

To: autocross <AUTOX@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: how to align your car at home?
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 13:58:49 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Peter Wong wrote:
> While I too use a SmartCamber for camber/caster, I just measure toe with
> two pieces of wood and a measuring tape.  I don't care about absolute toe
> in the front, just relative between the two wheels.  I just have two
> pieces of wood that are about the width of my front tires outer diameter
> and lay them against the wheels.  I then just measure the front and rear
> of the blocks of wood and you have your total toe measurement.

Yeah.  I tried that before I said the heck with it and got the trammel bar
setup.

Basically I found myself trying to measure down to 1/16" and the (in my
case) two pieces of AL bar stock laying against the wheels didn't give me
repeatable results.

Depends on how anal you are.  It was worth the $140 or so to me to get
numbers that I knew were accurate to 1/32" or so.  MHO obviously.

Mark
(who's the same guys who's considering buying an ODB diagnostic tool just
so I can reset the fault codes without resetting the PCM, see live sensor
inputs, and see text warnings rather than flashing lights.  Just call me
Mr. Tool Junky... :-)