Re: Any reason to go with larger wheel size?

To: "H. Rodney Spear" <hrspear@coastalnet.com>,
Subject: Re: Any reason to go with larger wheel size?
From: "Steve Hoult" <stevehoult@home.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 19:32:46 -0600
> I have just run in my first autocross and it was a great experience, I'll
> spare you the details, since I'm sure you all remember the exhileration
> of your first event.  Any I have concluded that I need to get seperate
> wheels and tires for this.  Not so much to improve my times (biggest
> improvements will still be coming from improving the driver for a while),
> but to save my expensive street tires.  My car comes stock with 15" or
> 16" wheels.  I am planning on going with 15" steel wheels.  My reasoning
> is 15" will be lighter than 16", cheaper, and allow more adjustment via
> air pressure changes.  Does this make sense?  Would there be a
> significant advantage to going with 16" or alloys instead?

IF you can do 15" tires and stay in Stock class I would do it. The smaller
wheels can give you better gearing. Stay with the lowest profile you can.
Since this is only your first autox, stay with street tires. You learn
faster on them then race compound tires.

Steve Hoult  '89 MR2 SC ASP9     Flat Duck Racing
Join the MR2 SC mail list at http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/mr2sc
MR2 Supercharged Registry at http://www.mr2sc.com
Got Boost?