New car classifications -- I'M done.

To: "autox list" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: New car classifications -- I'M done.
From: "richard nichols" <rnichol1@san.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:37:50 -0800
I promise that this will the last time I will make this point here, since it
doesn't resonate with established autocrossers.  Thankfully I enjoy
autocrossing for the driving, not for the winning, and gauge my own
performance against the very fastest cars that raced that day anyway.

My point (and it may be based on another "invalid premise":

IF a strategic objective of Solo II is for it to be inclusive, and a tactic
for doing that is to keep it affordable, then the current system does not
accomplish that.

To wit:

Not when (expensive) full roll cages for chassis stiffness are allowed and
(inexpensive) strut bars with more than 2 points are not.

Not when (expensive if they're only good for the track) track-only racing
tires are allowed, but street tires are not competitive.

Not when a late-model $30,000 car competes in the same classes as a
well-used $3,000 car.

Not when there are serious discussions about whether or not brake bleeders
are allowed.

Not when a protest could require a competitor to dismantle his/her engine to
prove the block deck has not been reduced by more than the thickness of a
piece of paper.

Not when a competitor could be d/q'd for using non-standard underhood vacuum
or other hoses, or having the heater core bypassed, or -- give me a break.

I promise, I'm done!

Richard Nichols
rnichol1@san.rr.com
San Diego, CA