Re: Hype RE: Eric, jblanken

To: sportscar48@juno.com
Subject: Re: Hype RE: Eric, jblanken
From: Jeff Blankenship <jblanken@itds.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:24:53 CST
Heyward writes:

> No but how many ACRs did you see in a showroom.  My understanding was
> that an ACR in most cases had to be ordered, just like the trunk kits do.

When the neon was introduced in 1994, the ACR competition package required
proof of SCCA membership to purchase.  This was to ensure adequate supply
to the racing community.  In 1995 and later, the ACR could be bought by
anyone, and lots of dealers stocked them once they saw how much better the
neon looked with the alloy wheels.  Most dealers were and are pretty ignorant
about the car and lots have been sold to unsuspecting customers.  Two ACRs
were in stock at the Plymouth dealer in this town when I bought my Sport
in '96.  I haven't heard of much trouble finding one.

> There have always been hot cars, even in SS classes but the Neon was the
> first to have a "factory" parts store.  The rules allow any "factory
> option".  Last I checked my factory did not sell crash bolts, ajustable
> shocks or bigger sway bars.  It is the "options" that I object to.  All
> legal Miata Rs have the same options.  All ACRs don't.

I don't understand - the rules are (at least were) very clear that no
substitution between models, update, or backdate, is allowed.  Normal
model year changes don't violate that, and even so, sway bar size on ACRs has
never changed.    ACRs don't need crash bolts to get camber, that was the
whole point.  Heck, SS rules were stricter than Solo 2 stock rules right up
to the point when SCCA decided SS cars don't "sound like race cars" and
allowed cat back exhaust mods for all cars.  This was the first sign of the
apocalypse... :)

> I am sorry for any negativity toward the Neon, on the surface it was and
> is a great idea for grassroots racing.   My point is that the Neon has
> changed the face of SCCA stock and showroom stock racing and I believe it
> to be for the worst.

Apology accepted.  Yes, things have changed - they always do - but I place
more blame on the SCCA for not resisting the pressure for the rule changes
than I do on the neon, which merely set a higher benchmark.
--
Jeffrey D. Blankenship                           Senior Technical Consultant
jblanken@itds.com                                ITDS - TRIS